You will need:
- Coloured sweets, for example smarties or skittles
What to do:
- Choose three colours that you want to use in your atom. Once colour for the protons, one for the neutrons and one for the electrons.
- Cut some string to make the electron shell.
- Put the sweets that represent the protons and the neutrons in the middle. The middle of the atom is called the nucleus.
- Arrange the string in a circle around the nucleus. It will form the electron shell.
- Put the sweets that represent the electrons on the electron shell (string). Make sure that the amount of protons and electrons is the same.
- Your atomic model is now complete. If you wish you can label the atom and add the charges for protons, electrons and neutrons.
You can also watch the video for this activity on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Kn6FjQdgw&t=1s