You will need
- 1 Bowl
- Washing-up liquid
- 1 Match
- 1 Knife
What to do
- Fill the bowl with water.
- Split the match slightly at its lower end using the knife.
- Smear the split end with some washing-up liquid.
- Place the match in the water and watch what happens.
- The soap will dissolve slowly in the water which causes a backwards movement of the water molecules. This lets the boat move forward.
- If you want to repeat the experiment, change the water in the bowl and use a new match.
You can also watch this experiment here: