Vinegar is an acid and reacts with baking soda to form salt, water and carbon dioxide gas. The extremely fast formation of carbon dioxide gas will cause your zipper back bomb to explode.
You will need
- Plastic zipper bag
- Vinegar (any kind will do, but you will need quite a lot of it)
- Baking soda
- Cup, glass or mug
- Table spoon
What to do
- Go outside to do this experiment.
- Check your zipper bag to make sure that it does NOT have any holes or rips before the experiment.
- Fill your glass or mug completely with vinegar
- Pour the vinegar from your glass or mug into the plastic zipper bag.
- Place the zipper bag on the ground.
- Add one heaped table spoon of baking soda and quickly close the bag.
- Quickly step away from the zipper bag and watch what happens.
You can watch this experiment here: